The Internet is a worldwide connection of computer systems over a massive network. The most common form of communication is one way, which is where a website is placed on a server and made available to people. There is also direct online communication via email, IM or online video and audio. There is also the middle ground where stationary websites are used as the intermediary between two or more people.
There are certain advantages to the Internet and certain disadvantages. How it affects you or which you feel are truly advantageous or disadvantageous are up to you. This essay compares and contrasts the good and bad points about the Internet and attempts to shine an unbiased focus on both sides.
It has made research a lot easier, as a person may simply hop online if he or she wants to find out about something. This is especially useful if the person wants to know the location of a place, or the opening hours etc.
Nothing online is trustworthy. Even websites that are supposed to be trusted and are supposed to be reliable are not full of reliable information. Even major websites that are run by big and trusted companies are using writing firms to write their websites and the writing firms are simply hiring the cheapest freelancers to do their work for them. It is true that the Internet has made it easier to find out basic facts such as the location of places, but even that information is commonly incorrect (as Google maps will happily prove).
It means that a lot of people may now stay in touch with a lot more people. It has made communication very simple, easy and convenient. It is possible to stay in touch with people that you hardly ever see. It is possible to communicate very often too.
Some people use the Internet too much and forgo real life contact. It may now be easier to keep in contact with people you know, but it has removed any incentive to visit people. People pay fewer visits to other people because of their contact online.
It is possible to get basic information off of the Internet, but you must check its legitimacy as best you can. Treat the information you read online with a high degree of skepticism and you will be alright. It is also a good idea to use the Internet in order to stay in contact with people, as it is easy and convenient. However, do not allow online contact to start replacing physical contact. It is important to strike a balance between the two.
Two angles have been compared in both a positive and negative light. It is now up to you to decide which of these advantages and disadvantages affect you the most. The comparison between the advantages and disadvantages helps to identify the correct course of action and the correct way of dealing with the potential advantages and disadvantages of Internet use.
Introduction: Internet is a world-wide network of computerized devices and servers. Data travels to and fro among computer systems and servers.
Around three billion people around the world are using internet. The countries with largest number of internet users includes China, United States, and India.
The organization that provides the internet facility to users is called Internet Service Provider (ISP). They normally charge a usage based fees from the customers.
There are many advantages of internet.
- We can make donations online.
- We can send and receive information across large matrix of computer systems. Through email service, we can send messages for both business and personal purposes.
- Internet has opened doors for virtual online offices.
- During the festive season, we don’t need to visit crowed stores to buy our stuff. We can make online purchases at a bargain price.
- We can send birthday greeting cards through the internet.
- Before making any purchases, we can check online for user reviews of the products that we intend to buy.
- We can use social media applications on our personal computer and mobile devices. In this way, we can reconnect to our old school friends.
- We can gather information for new job openings. We can also apply online for jobs.
- We can earn online by doing freelancing jobs, selling online, completing surveys, affiliate marketing, etc.
- We can also sell old items that are of no use for us.
- During idle time, we can listen to music or watch a video.
Also read: Essay on Internet and Its Uses
The disadvantages of internet are:
- We often tend to purchase those extra items that we rarely need. Such purchases are a wastage of money.
- The internet is not free. Sometimes, it hurts while paying bills.
- There are hundreds of vendors selling products of various brands. We get confused with too many choices.
- The transaction cost levied by the payment gateway providers decreases the margin of the online sellers.
- Too many contradictory review leads us nowhere.
- The physical distance among loved ones is increasing.
- Somewhere the emotional connect between people are missing.
- We feel helpless when the internet connection is down.
- We always remain engaged with many online activities such as checking emails, socializing, chatting, online shopping, business-deals, etc. We don’t get time to rest.
- Our life is moving at the pace of internet. We seldom spare few moments of peace for us.
We have the intellect to make smart choices. We should not allow internet to distract or disturb our mind. We should use it in a way that brings harmony in life.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles