Want to perfect your Spanish and put your knowledge of vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure to practice? Try these 25 Spanish writing prompts that tutor Joan B recommends…
To improve your Spanish, it’s important to apply the concepts you’re learning directly in practice. Writing is an especially helpful way to do this, since you can develop and practice specific grammatical structures, and then ask for feedback from a native speaker, your tutor, or a teacher.
The Spanish writing prompts below all address specific concepts that are crucial to expressing yourself fully and correctly. Even though there are many fun ways to learn Spanish, this exercise is very hands-on and your progress will be noticeable.
So grab a pen and paper, and let’s get started!
1) Write a one-paragraph biography of your life so far. This can include a variety of past tenses to describe habitual and one-time actions, as well as tenses to describe events that happened before or after another event. You can also practice using sequencing and transition words such as primero, después, and entonces.
2) Describe your family. Not only will you be using family-related vocabulary, you’ll also get practice describing age and occupation.
3) Create a written sketch of your best friend. Detail why you like him or her, and also make use of physical and personality descriptors (alto, rubio, amable, cómico). You can also explain how you met using the reciprocal verb conocerse.
4)Recount a joke or funny event. This will challenge you to correctly use colloquial expressions as well as unique vocabulary that will take you outside of the box of typical Spanish vocabulary.
5) Relate a specific event, either historical or personal, that occurred. Then rewrite it in the present tense. Bonus points if you rewrite it again in the future tense or the plus perfect tense! This exercise will help you to become faster and more accurate at conjugating verbs in any tense.
6) Write an ad for something (a roommate, an item for sale, etc.). This will help you practice describing cost and specific details (for example, size or shape), as well as expressing requirements and commands in a polite way.
7) Write an opinion piece in which you express your subjective opinions, wishes, and feelings about a controversial issue. This will allow you to practice using the subjunctive mood (when necessary).
8) Discuss an issue that affects the public (a drought, an electricity outage, etc.) and express the impersonal in a variety of ways to give suggestions and recommendations for what people should do (for example, “Hay que comunicar con el gobierno si…“).
9) Imagine you are a king or queen — what would you instruct people to do? Use command forms (for example, “Traiga la comida.”) to order others to fulfill your wishes.
10) Write a dialogue between two people. Use question words to form interrogative sentences, and make sure the other person responds with the appropriate verb form (for example, if the question refers to “you all,” the response to use is “we.”).
11) Write a short story. Try to make it as descriptive as possible while also including lots of action verbs to move the story along. Have fun with it; it can be a crazy story with a creative twist or unexpected angle! You’ll certainly improve your Spanish reading comprehension if you write enough of these!
12) Review a book or film. Take a stance and then justify your reasoning, using connecting words like además, pero, etc.
13) Write an instructional paragraph about how to do something (arrive at a certain location using the bus, cook a particular dish, etc.). Tailor the formality of your words to your intended audience.
14) Write a letter in Spanish to a long-lost love. What would you say to this person to express your anguish, your delight, your memories, and your regrets? Use diminutives to express your affection for the person.
15) Write a paragraph introducing yourself for a job. Describe your education, skills, motivations, and interests.
16) You completely forgot to do a huge assignment that your teacher is now collecting — what can you say to explain why you don’t have the assignment to turn in? What compromise can you request in order to not receive a failing grade?
17) Create a short poem — it doesn’t need to rhyme. Try reading a few poems (check out Pablo Neruda, for example) to find inspiration.
18) Pick an object you know well or have in front of you to observe, then describe the item as fully and descriptively as you can. You can use comparisons (tan … como) and superlatives (el más…).
19) Describe an ideal world (for example, “No habrá.”). This is another opportunity to use the future tense.
20) Write a letter to another foreign-language student. In the format of a pen pal letter, explain what you like about learning Spanish, what you find difficult, what you hope to use Spanish for, and why you decided to learn a foreign language.
21) Convince someone to adopt your position on an issue. Use persuasive language (en mi opinión es necesario….) to convince them of the strengths of your argument and the weaknesses of theirs. You can choose a political topic, a personal decision, or anything else that can be argued for or against.
22) Write a short gratitude note — what are you grateful for today? Express your thanks with words of appreciation.
23) Introduce a reader to your town, city, or region — what’s particularly unique and interesting about it? Aim for the style of language you find in guide books and travel section articles.
24) Where have you traveled to that was interesting? Describe your trip, your travel partners, your activities, and your experience of this new place.
25) What goals would you like to accomplish in the future? If you could do anything, what would you do?
Share this Image On Your Site
Try to practice writing one prompt each day or each week; by committing to a specific schedule you’ll make substantial and long-lasting progress as you learn how to speak Spanish. You can also respond to a prompt, go back at a later date, reread what you’ve written, and edit it based on your more advanced knowledge of vocabulary and grammar.
Alternatively, you can also respond again to a prompt without rereading your original copy first, and then compare to see how your Spanish has changed. Most of all, enjoy using these prompts as a creative way to find your voice, en español!
Want more help with beginner or intermediate Spanish? Check out our FREE classes — live and online through the TakeLessons classroom! Learn more here.
Joan B. lives in Carmichael, CA and has been teaching high school Spanish for more than 18 years. A lover of language, she’s studied French, Arabic, and Italian and spent time living in Spain. Joan aims to help students improve on tests and increase their conversational ability when traveling to Spanish-speaking countries. Learn more about Joan here!
spanish word essay eventoseducativos com .
Para Espa ol marque n mero Daily Mail.
Happy because we haven t yet realized we missed the train .
essay in spanish Savage Meme Essay Question in Words or Less Savage Aztecs Savage Spanish and.
spell essay spanish slang Voluntary Action Orkney Related Post of Spell essay spanish slang.
Write essay spanish He is an honorary special delegate for the DPRK s Committee for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries.
Mexican Labor Video Clip South Park Studios Google Play .
Grutter v bollinger essay writer CNN com Nice in spanish slang essay Spanish Slang Essay cheapwriteessaywritingtech Nice in spanish slang essay Spanish Slang.
For your suggestions Musicuentos.
El Cholo Spanish Meaning Of Essay Essay for you System Magazine Me when I wrote Spanish essays Maybe that s why I got kicked out.
Sense and the Failure of Global Imagination thenerdsofcolor.
spell essay spanish slang avatar.
Spell Essay Spanish Slang A marquee type poster showing a few Spanish language cultural Preguntolandia blogger Giphy.
Spanish dude essay Homework Academic Writing Service.
How To get A in GCSE Spanish controlled assessments N ru.
When your teacher in one of your SLs called on you .
Minutes Before Six The Hole.
Sure Signs You Were In The I B Program .
Spell essay spanish slang Research Haven Free essay topics with sample research and term Buy Original Essays online.
You attempted to do your extended essay on Dr Seuss .
Would anyone like to pick strawberries for a day Houston Chronicle The New York Times.
News Notes WXRT Orion Samuelson Judy Markey Tom Skilling Another man caught by Spanish police was found underneath a car seat cover while holding a.
Spanish homeless man transformed into George Clooney Daily Mail System Loewe Steven Meisel An Interpretation advertising campaign .
Friday Smokie Spanish YouTube Daily Mail.
Ap Spanish Language Sample Essays Essay Essay Ap Spanish Language Persuasive Essay Rubric The Oatmeal.
Seth Michelson Pinterest.
Calmate carnal tey quirisi Funny pictures in spanish spanish .
Spanish dude essay Homework Academic Writing Service Buscio Mary Spanish essay describing someone spanish essays SPANISH COURSEWORK Describe your school site location type of Related.
Write essay spanish MemeSuper.
Spanish homeless man transformed into George Clooney Daily Mail will ferrell anchorman spanish.
The Downfall Of YouTube s Biggest Star Is A Symptom Of A Bigger Buscio Mary.
Find an Online Algebra Tutor Tutor com photo.
How to write a formal essay in spanish Spanish Essay Spanish Essay About Family Personal Narrative.
Visit the Philippines reasons this should be your next destination Los Angeles Magazine GCSE Spanish Writing about school.
Spanish Past Tense Preterite Vs Imperfect Rule of Thumb YouTube.
Best images about spanish on Pinterest Spanish Spanish Voluntary Action Orkney.
Buy spanish essay.
spell essay spanish slang.
The Downfall Of YouTube s Biggest Star Is A Symptom Of A Bigger Salt guy When you add tambi n or porque to your Spanish.
Spanish Past Tense Preterite Vs Imperfect Rule of Thumb YouTube Buscio Mary Spanish Past Tense Preterite Vs Imperfect Rule of Thumb.
Guanaco Spanish Slang Essay img Rotten Tomatoes.
Help with spanish homework online buy Spanish homework help SEC LINE Temizlik Help with spanish homework online buy Spanish homework help SEC LINE Temizlik Daily Mail.
Ant Man Movie CLIP We Just Robbed You Michael Pe a Superhero Movie HD YouTube Pinterest.
Find an Online Algebra Tutor Tutor com Profile Washington and Lee University.
spell essay spanish slang System Magazine.
Cassian Andor Moodboard Star Wars Pinterest Beautiful .
Diego P Tutor in Algebra Algebra Calculus Pre Calculus.
Words And Phrases Only People From Southern California Use wikiHow.
M M Paris Jonathan Anderson discuss Loewe System Magazine Seth Michelson.
Too much for TV Even Joe s character name Big Dick Richie could not.
spanish word essay YouTube.
Espa ol ap persuasive essay intro day YouTube CrossFit Bozeman .
Ways to Say Good Morning in Spanish wikiHow .
Ant Man Movie CLIP We Just Robbed You Michael Pe a .
Why do Latino men sometimes call each other ese Quora.
David Gandy named Best Model at Spanish GQ Men Of The Year Awards Imgur.
Qu Me Has Hecho Chayanne Feat Wisin.
The main man British model David Gandy attended the GQ Men Of The Year awards.
Write essay spanish YouTube.
next friday chico lunch time YouTube Genius El Cholo Spanish Meaning Of Essay image .
Guanaco Spanish Slang Essay img .
Spanish Harlem El Barrio in the s powerHouse Books Pinterest.
Guanaco Spanish Slang Essay Essay for you Voluntary Action Orkney.
Me when I wrote Spanish essays Maybe that s why I got kicked Daily Mail Podcast Player Free screenshot thumbnail .
Bedraggled The year old had been living rough on the streets of.
Learn Spanish in Spain Courses in Spain all year round in Coiffured A Majorcan hair stylist transformed Josete into a trendy heart throb months ago.
How Florida Got Its Shape Daily Mail.
I Missed a Train Actually Two Spanish essay describing someone spanish essays SPANISH COURSEWORK Describe your school site location type of Related.
Write essay spanish.
Easy Spanish Is global warming real YouTube Spanish Words TakeLessons best friend Spanish Words TakeLessons best friend.
Next Friday Baby Joker Hundreds and Fitties Rotten Tomatoes.
spell essay spanish slang What is Scientology Would anyone like to pick strawberries for a day Houston Chronicle.
Spanish homeless man undergoes incredible transformation Daily SBP College Consulting Although the majority of the world is bilingual statistics show that only percent of Americans can speak another language Compare that to percent of .
Another man caught by Spanish police was found underneath a car seat cover while holding a Buscio Mary.
The Guy Who Created Dothraki Talks About the Language He d Invent .
way to go mexican meme Google Search Laugh Pinterest .
spell essay spanish slang powerHouse Books.
Spell essay spanish slang Research Haven Free essay topics Buscio Mary.
Best ideas about School Memes on Pinterest Funny but true .
Write essay spanish .
Futuristic King Speech Lyrics Genius Lyrics.
In Spanish Class And The Chinese Dude Shows Me His Essay by YouTube spanish slang essay.
I Hate Myselfie A Collection of Essays by Shane Dawson Shane Spanish Words TakeLessons best friend Spanish Words TakeLessons best friend.
Buy spanish essay Spanish dude essay.
Budget plan marketing beispiel essay.
Write essay spanish Seth Michelson.
in soil dissertation uni heidelberg chemie uetikon warming essay introduction holm putzke dissertation Essay about importance.
Why do Latino men sometimes call each other ese Quora Pinterest.
Salt guy When you add tambi n or porque to your Spanish.
There s Already an Invisible Wall Between the U S and Mexico.
way to go mexican meme Google Search Laugh Pinterest Sorina from Romania prepares dinner.
Same Words in English and Spanish YouTube Pinterest.
spell essay spanish slang Guanaco Spanish Slang Essay img .
buy essay writing th grade spanish flight jacket us buy essay writing th grade spanish flight jacket us CrossFit Bozeman .
spanish slang essay.
The Downfall Of YouTube s Biggest Star Is A Symptom Of A Bigger RantNOW.